The Merchant Venturer', Metro-Vic Locomotive No 18100 at Bristol Temple
Meads station on 31 May 1952.
In the late 1940s the Great Western Railway ordered two experimental gas
turbine locomotives for express passenger work,
one from Metropolitan-Vickers of Manchester, the other from the Swis
manufacturer Brown Boveri.
They were delivered in 1949 after nationalization and they undertook a
considerable amount of running on test trains and regular services.